Here are some great suggestions on how to pace your novel, I hope they help you as much as they helped me!
Sometimes as writers, it’s hard to create the perfect pace in our stories. I attended a writing workshop recently and learned a few things about pacing. Here’s what I walked away with.
- Impose a deadline. Your characters must have an urgency and a time constraint to accomplish their task. Give them a timeframe.
- Up the ante. Make the task harder, danger greater, or stakes higher. Challenge your character, create tension and throw things at them that get in the way.
- Create a mystery. Leave open questions. Create doubt and uncertainty. Why was he here? What was he doing with that person?
- Swap point of view. Change the voice. Alter from heavy to humorous.
- Leave white space. Keep paragraphs short. Vary sentence length. Create chunks.
- Create an unsettled feeling. End chapters by leaving readers on edge. Make them want to know what’s going to happen next.
- Interlock episodes. Every scene connects to the…
View original post 97 more words